half price drinks for ladies

I Am Looking For a Tutor

Information about Puerto Vallarta for residents and tourists

Moderator: freeeye

I Am Looking For a Tutor

Postby t-olszewski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:32 am

I am going to be visiting Puerto Vallarta next week and I thought that this might provide me with an opportunity to improve my Spanish speaking skills a little. (I went to a Spanish school in Nicaragua for two weeks last year but I could certainly use more improvement). I was thinking that 2 hours per day would be about my tolerance level.

I am posting this because I was hoping that someone might know someone in Puerto Vallarta who would let me practice my Spanish and who has enough of a general education and a command of the English language to explain to me some of the subtleties of Spanish verb conjugation, (and who would be interested in making a few dollars for their troubles). I’m not really looking for a school (because it’s more expensive and less flexible) so I am hoping to find an individual.

It is my understanding that the minimum wage in Mexico is about $9.00 Pesos per hour and that the average wage is about $31.00 Pesos per hour so I was thinking that the right person might be available for perhaps $25.00 Pesos per hour (so $50.00 Pesos for two hours). I was thinking that we could meet for a couple of hours each day at a time that would be convenient for them. We are staying at a resort on Blvrd Francisco Medina Ascencio near the soccer fields so something in that area would be the most convenient.

Please let me know if anyone has anything in this regard. Thanks.
t-olszewski

Re: I Am Looking For a Tutor

Postby waltandjean » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 am

Bilingual people as a general rule do not work for anything close to minimum wage. Good luck.
waltandjean

Postby t-olszewski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks for your comment. I think it's true that I won't find anyone for minimum wage and that is why I was offering almost 3 time the minimum wage. What do you think a fair price would be for what I am looking for?
t-olszewski

Postby pnlibby » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Private tutoring of a trained teacher is app. $20 - $25 US per hour (CEPE Vallarta or Spanish Experience Centre.) You will note several threads below someone was inviting participation in a group class for $75 pesos for two hours. Perhaps you could negotiate with the teacher of that class. You could also try the Friendship Club. Again the price is for a group class (90 pesos per hour), but it gives you an idea.

http://www.pvorchids.com/IFC/Jan.html
"Let your words be few and seasoned with grace". Mother Ann Lee, founder of the Shaker Movement.
pnlibby

Postby EHHackney » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:19 pm

If you would be interested I classes instead, the international Friendship Club offers classes three days a week. I think the cost is 90-100 pesos a class, and we thought the instructor was very good.
EHHackney

Postby fmr pnw » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi,

I organized Spanish classes last year. You will not find anyone for mx$90/hr. The rate for Mexicanos — if you are able to find someone — is on the order of us$10 to $15/hr. Americans and Canadians want even more, as an earlier poster said, on the order of us$20+. Send me a PM if you want my contact’s name. We have just resumed group classes with him, and he is quite good, imo.

I can tell you that last year, I had a very tough time finding anyone to teach either the various organized classes or to work with me privately. I was lucky when I found the person I did.

Also, what you are looking for is a private teacher, who has good command of English and Spanish, and is able to explain (in English) why some verbs are as they are, and, for example, explaining about verb groups that are irregular. If you are motivated enough to work on your own, I recommend Dorothy Richmond’s Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses. It is available through Amazon, and is not expensive. Otherwise, you could perhaps ask at your resort’s front desk and see if they know of anyone who could work with you.

Buena suerte.

Gayle
fmr pnw

Return to General Information