half price drinks for ladies

The tipping minefield that is PV.....

Stick it here: Adults only.

Moderator: freeeye

Forum rules
C'est la vie

Re: The tipping minefield that is PV.....

Postby Deepwater » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:41 am

I'm not brand new to Vallarta, I've been around for just over 8 years and am a resident although I occasionally travel overseas for work. I know within reason how places operate, I don't tip Soriana 20% on my groceries, I would agree with wrong waiter, place, and naturally manager/owner. Ultimately I was more annoyed at myself for taking my parents to a place I hadn't actually visited myself when it was one of their last evenings, I was trying to show them the good in Vallarta during the trip and for the most part that was a success story, to be honest the tip thing passed them by because we laughed so much. My father wanted to stay a few months. I didn't actually leave a 25% tip, unless there's a particularly good reason that's an excessive amount on top of every check. I guess what I was trying to articulate was that whether service good or bad I'm content to leave a reasonable tip without fuss, if bad, I'll simply not return or recommend to friends. This place aggravated me with their attitude. I would absolutely encourage people to tip the hard working bartenders, waiters and waitresses and I'm sure 10, 15 or 20% are all accepted in good grace so tip according to the service received within budget. A few rogue people or premises will be found in any tourist town.
Sooner I get off this boat I can fly home for a while...Pacifico time..
Deepwater

Postby EHHackney » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:18 am

I get the tipping thing for the most part. But I gotta say tipping the guy outside Costco to call over the taxi at the curb all of 20 feet away, who's looking right at me, is annoying. We carried our own bags to the cab, too.
EHHackney

Postby playapat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:42 am

You may not have seen anyone force a tip from a customer but have you noticed that some
restaurants include the tip on the bill? I am thinking of Hacienda San Angel.
playapat

Postby psdesertmike » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Adding a mandatory tip to a bill is not legal in Mexico.
psdesertmike

Postby waltandjean » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:50 pm

How long have you been here?
waltandjean

Postby Marcos » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:52 am

Recently there were two posts on Facebook on the "Everything You Want To Know About Puerto Vallarta" page that address this issue.

One was about tipping in PV. The other was a list of what various professions make in Mexico. Both were good reads.

Since I am Facebook ignorant, I have no clue how to search the site, otherwise I would have posted a link.

That having been said, I almost always tip wait staff, bartenders, etc. 20%, depending, of course, on the level of service as well as the denominations of change I receive.

Some establishments "split tips" (i.e. all of the waiters pool their tips then the establishment gives a portion to the other help and the waiters evenly split the rest). If I receive good service from my waitperson at such a place, I will generally give them $20 pesos or so "under the table". FYI, since my bar bill can generally run $200 pesos for a happy hour of drinking, this means that I'm tipping about 30%.
Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right ... But Three Lefts Do!
Marcos

Postby dlockesf » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Just to repeat what has been said before: If you use a credit card, try to tip in cash. If you put the tip on the card, the money goes to the restaurant and some restaurant take a cut before sending it to the employees.
dlockesf

PreviousNext

Return to Drunken Rants, Politics, Sex, Religion, Art, Melodrama, Psycho Babel. ...