half price drinks for ladies

Taxi drivers against Uber

Stick it here: Adults only.

Moderator: freeeye

Forum rules
C'est la vie

Re: Taxi drivers against Uber

Postby Ann » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:08 pm

I don't know what to think of Uber. In the lower mainland of BC, the licensed taxi drivers can pay upwards to a million dollars for their cab licenses, and then Uber comes in with what? No license, nada?
Any one up for a lime margarita?
Ann

Postby norcali » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Where in the hell would a cab driver get a million dollars to get a license ?
norcali

Postby Ann » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Well, actually it's $775M and many finance their licenses to be repaid over time.
Ann

Postby jrdwdw » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:49 am

Jim

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. --Ben Franklin
jrdwdw

Postby waltandjean » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:44 pm

jrdwdw wrote:Well, the used to be...http://www.vancouversun.com/news/even+b ... story.html

Ain't competition great? They probably had the same problems when cars replaced horses. Hey, guaranteed income, just borrow a million and you're set for life. Oops!
waltandjean

Postby Ann » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:07 pm

I still don't know what kind of regulations Uber operates under. No signage on their cars? Sufficient insurance? I just don't know what's involved.
Ann

Postby fmr pnw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:00 pm

I may be the exception here, but I'm happy to pay the regular taxi drivers. I have been taken exactly one time: from our house in 5 de diciembre, in the driving rain and wind, I was going to the airport with my two bags. I **always** ask the price before I get in, but that time, I was just so wet and miserable (and there were no other cabs out there) that I didn't. When we got to the airport, he wanted $200, which was around us$12 at the time. I was pretty unhappy, but paid it, but didn't give him a tip. On the other hand, he navigated the flooded streets skillfully, and it was a lousy us$12. So I overpaid by around us$4 or 5. And how much longer would I have had to stand out there waiting for another cab to come by?

Most taxi drivers are very nice, though I always recommend finding out the cost before getting in, and most are good guys, helpful, and fair. I won't be using Uber.

Just my thoughts...

saludos cordiales,
Gayle
fmr pnw

PreviousNext

Return to Drunken Rants, Politics, Sex, Religion, Art, Melodrama, Psycho Babel. ...