half price drinks for ladies

Finally I am a "permanent resident."

Casual Puerto Vallarta discussions, avoiding Politics, Religion and and other 'serious' subjects.

Moderator: freeeye

Finally I am a "permanent resident."

Postby freeeye » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:19 pm

When it was time to renew my visa earlier this year, I was told by the woman who controls the immigration application process at INM that, although I had lived here legally for 7 years, I did not qualify to be a permanent resident and had to apply for temporary resident status because my house was not worth $300,000 US and because I did not make $30000 pesos a month from outside income. All this because the number on the back of my recently acquired FM2 was a "1."

So I went to an expensive immigration facilitator who claims to be an ex employee of the INM (the one across the hall from Astrid in Plaza Romy). He said the same thing. The local "legal guru" on another Vallarta board said the same. So I went with the resident temporary application and spent about $700 US for two more years of purgatory.

Then I talked to a friend who said that this was all bullshit, that because I had lived here so long I qualified for permanent residency. That is what I had always thought. :roll:

So I contracted with someone and paid about 4000 pesos to correct this mistake and I now am a "permanent resident." What makes me feel so stupid is that I could have done this from the beginning and I would have saved that 7000 pesos.

The moral of this story is that you do not need to believe from others what you do not believe yourself and find people who actually know how things work here. No bribes were involved in this process, only a fine-tuned intelligent knowledge of the system.

"À chacun son goût"
freeeye
Site Admin

Re: Finally I am a "permanent resident."

Postby Macuardo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 pm

that's KOOL Rick!!!
cost you a few bucks, but you finally got it done! 8)
"...It's not whether you win or lose, It's how you lay the blame!!..."
Macuardo

Postby freeeye » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:30 pm

No more yearly visa fees.... almost full citizenship rights... "freedom to work"...now I can be Sarah's legal employee in Cafe Mordida. 8)

Stay tuned for the next episode of living like a Mexican in Mexico: Legalizing my "non-regularizable" Japanese Toyota. Details to follow. A lot of legal bullshit is floating around the PV forums these days. Too many legal "gurus" posing out there. Reality trumps paranoia and misinformation.

(please cancel the ad elsewhere on this forum about selling my truck)

"À chacun son goût"
freeeye
Site Admin

Postby chico98 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 pm

congratulations
now if sarah is your boss and registered with imss you as an employee and head of the family can have full benefits of imss
legally the employer pays half as the employee gets deducted the other half of monthly payments to imss
maybe after awhile you also can get retirement benefits
talk to your accountant if you have one for the latest info
that was the route i went thru forty years ago
happily retired and still have full benefits including my spouse and after i pass away the spouse will continue
chico98

Postby jrdwdw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:48 pm

We went for fingerprints on Friday. Hopefully cards in 2-3 weeks. Not looking to work however! Two years FM3, one year FM2.
Jim

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. --Ben Franklin
jrdwdw

Postby kellymarie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 am

WOO HOO! I'm doing a little happy dance for you! :D
Curiouser and curiouser! -Alice in Wonderland
kellymarie

Postby Chance » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:26 am

Thats good new. I have started the process from canada :)
Nothing soothes the soul like a walk on the beach (Author unknown)
Chance

Next

Return to Chit Chat