half price drinks for ladies

We are surrounded by fire

Casual Puerto Vallarta discussions, avoiding Politics, Religion and and other 'serious' subjects.

Moderator: freeeye

We are surrounded by fire

Postby Ronald » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Some of you may have heard on the national news that we are pretty much surrounded by forest fires.. Yep, kinda true... Roads are closed going north and south, and they closed the airport so we're pretty much sitting in our house or at work in partly air conditioned comfort drinking beer and sporadically clearing the ashes off our vehicles. Sure would be nice if it rained, but don't look like it will.. We get what they call dry lightning which is starting new fires. Apparently we have about 130 forest fires around us, which without the lightning is getting less and less as the fires are starting to join up in a bigger fire.

We only have one main power line coming north to service everyone, and it is alongside the highway where a few of the fires are at. Fire jumped the highway down south I've been told. Everything is fine unless the power goes out, which will mean no air conditioning, water, or use of a CPAP machine in my case. Power went out in the middle of last night but came on again in about 15 minutes. There is always somebody working looking after us, which you never quite realize and are thankful for until it happens.

This link might work for awhile showing some pictures..http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/driver-slips-through-raging-forest-fire-in-northern-saskatchewan-1.3131582

Sure would be nice to be on the smoke free beach in PV right now.
Anything worth fighting for, is worth fighting dirty for
Ronald

Re: We are surrounded by fire

Postby freeeye » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:41 pm

I hope that you know when to cut losses and run if it gets to that point. Being in a forest fire was probably the scariest thing that's happened to me in the last 20 years. Be safe.

"À chacun son goût"
freeeye
Site Admin

Postby eltiburon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:22 pm

Starting to get smoky down here 509 miles to the south of you...making life a bit miserable for us asthmatics....I heard how brutal it is up there and Saskatoon....I can't imagine!!
"People with small minds who live in small worlds often think that the whole world is small."
Rick Hepting
eltiburon

Postby eltiburon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:26 pm

That video on the link is terrifying
"People with small minds who live in small worlds often think that the whole world is small."
Rick Hepting
eltiburon

Postby rabihorcada » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:43 pm

I would think you wouldn't need the cpap machine anyway. Who can sleep with that going on around you?

Those dry lightning storms always create the biggest infernos. In California, it is always our worst nightmare, even more than the earthquakes.

I hope you all up there make it through ok, without losing everything, Ronald.
rabihorcada
Site Admin

Postby Ronald » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 pm

We had a major fire back in 1999 (Mallard Fire) that got into town and took out some homes, and this one I think anyway, is not as bad to deal with, but as the wife and I are getting older we both agree it is harder on us. Her asthma is giving her a run for her money, and the bypass I had since then tells me I should be leaving, but what the hell..

Last time we were on the roof at work spraying the shingles down because of the hot ash and pine cones that are floating in this 10-15 mph wind, but last year we put on a metal roof so I only have to worry about the roof on our own house. Last time we had our kids still living at home and had a few slaves around to wet everything down... f@$@ers left home since then, so now it's our job, and we suddenly feel our age.

They were letting people drive south under some sort of government lead convoy every 40 minutes or so, but then cancelled that while they get rid of some of the flames alongside the highway, and then about an hour ago closed the roads going the other way so we're pretty much stuck in our houses. I'm guessing that sometime around April next year there are going to be a few more births than normal around here. But this is all forest up here and I pity the poor animals.

I think that the smoke might be worse down south than it is for us. Government website just updated and said we have 115 wildfires burning and over the last 24 hours 11 fires have been declared out and 5 new fires have been reported. They are all around us, which should mean there are as many south of us as are in each other direction. The smoke is going south, so we only end up with the stuff to the west and north of us.. Prince Albert, Saskatoon, and even you Shawn down in Estevan might be getting more smoke than we are. You're just missing out on these damn hot piney cones, but you'll be seeing that beautiful orange and blood red sun and moon still up there.
Anything worth fighting for, is worth fighting dirty for
Ronald

Postby eltiburon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:27 pm

Smoke started to roll in round 5pm it's really getting thick now...the fact that it was 32C and humid today makes it seem even worse. Asthma getting bad
Here's a shot across out my back yard looking towards the boys hardball diamond....normally this time of year it is bright and sunny at 8 pm as was the time this was taken! It just keeps getting thicker and thicker
Be safe up there....last thing you want is a Slave Lake disaster

https://www.flickr.com/gp/18198387@N03/68v588
Rick Hepting
eltiburon

Next

Return to Chit Chat