half price drinks for ladies

We are surrounded by fire

Casual Puerto Vallarta discussions, avoiding Politics, Religion and and other 'serious' subjects.

Moderator: freeeye

Re: We are surrounded by fire

Postby Claymore52 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:17 pm

A few years back the government de-commissioned the Martin Mars water bombers. I think they are still anchored up in a lake on Vancouver island. (Cowichan Lake?)
Those were amazing beasts. Picking up a few tons or so of water on the move via a belly scoop, dropping it on the blaze and heading back to do it again. One of their last performances was being sent to Indonesia when they had amazing fires there. At least one of the two was sent over.
Saw them working live years ago on the Harrison Ridge fire (Harrison Hot Springs) and again in a demo in the middle of Vancouver Harbour for a logging show.

They were amazing but highly effective relics of bygone days.
Claymore52

Postby Ronald » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:53 pm

It is now the worst smoke I have ever been in... I'm guessing that at most you can see about 300 feet (100 meters). All of our kids have packed up and left and were part of the convoy that went south. The drive south to get out of the fires is very close to 160 klicks long (100 miles).

Both son-in-laws work in the uranium mines underground and they were flown home. Our youngest, who is a firefighter had to leave town due to asthma. I thought they would be the safest around given they work a couple thousand feet underground, but apparently all the air is pumped down to them so they can breathe, and this particular air filled with smoke compacts like a bastard down there. The wife and I would leave but both of us have jobs where we are the boss, so we are kind of stuck here looking after our places and providing services until they either order a full evacuation, or we get some rain imported from Ontario.

Now get this... and thanks to our wonderful provincial government who looks after all the things we need. Traffic has only been allowed going south under a big convoy protected by Sask Environment and Emergency Measures, and on the return they convoyed some semi loads of equipment (excavators, water trucks, etc) AND a semi load of beer/liquor to stock our government operated liquor store.... I should have taken a picture of that semi backed up to their loading dock surrounded by smoke. Shelves are pretty much bear in our local stores including the big Coop shopping centre, and there has been a run on gas sales, and we have had no mail delivered here since last Friday,..... but we have beer... nectar of the gods.

Tomorrow's Canada Day and big things were planned but are now all cancelled.. I'm guessing there will still be some idiots going down to the lake expecting to see fireworks. For those who are in a cleaner environmental setting, enjoy CANADA DAY tomorrow. You can pretend to have a beer for me, but I'll beat you to it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anything worth fighting for, is worth fighting dirty for
Ronald

Postby rabihorcada » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Good luck, Ronald. I do not envy what you are going through, even with all that beer. One thing, though, frequently the smoke is the worst when the fires are almost out.
rabihorcada
Site Admin

Postby Ronald » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Big fire downtown right now in a department store downtown. It's about 8 long blocks from our place. Don't know how it started but there are our own and the forest fire team trucks on scene. They were pouring lots of water on the roof, so I'm assuming it started from burning ash.... Maybe not.
Anything worth fighting for, is worth fighting dirty for
Ronald

Postby kcowan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:43 am

Good luck Ron

I hope your need to stay has been justified. The air quality alone would get me out of there. :roll:

(But then I have COPD!)
Last edited by kcowan on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the fun of it...Keith -
kcowan

Postby ELLABEAR » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 pm

Stay safe.
And don't wait Til it's too late.
How can they say my life is not a success? Have I not for more than sixty years got enough to eat and escaped being eaten?
ELLABEAR

Postby Garf » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Ronald, it's time you look after your own health and get out of Dodge.
Be safe.
Shane.
Keep the dream alive, hit the snooze button.
Garf

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat