Cable for Internet

Personal solutions for and questions about living in Vallarta.
Where to find it and how to do it.

Re: Cable for Internet

Postby Macuardo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 am

We went in to telmex on Friday and and they hooked us up yesterday!! Pretty quick I'd say??
Anyway, the regular 10mbs with mex phone number is 389p, but there is the option of no phone for 349p!
we have a mex cel so went for the 349p no phone, works great!
BTW: there is now an installation fee of 1310p (90 bucks cdn) and no way to get around it!! It has been in effect since January, so just be aware of that!
We will try and see if we can leave it on vacation in the summer like we do at home in the winter! I know we can, just want to compare the cost to install fee?? Will find out when we get the bill for first month!
"...It's not whether you win or lose, It's how you lay the blame!!..."
Macuardo

Postby kcowan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:42 am

We have had the 389p service for 10 years. Only 2 outages, each 6 weeks. One was internet but no phone, the other was no nothing. In both cases, it was a problem at the exchange but we had to wait for a tech to visit to confirm that. We used a local neighbour to call Telmex because our Spanish does not extend to technical issues.
For the fun of it...Keith -
kcowan

Postby Marcos » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 am

As far as I know, PV Geeks is the only solution for "internet only" but they aren't cheap.

Our Telmex internet (and phone) has been reasonably reliable.

The biggest complaint I have with Telmex is that when one service goes out for a period of time, they'll give you a credit but they "fudge" the credit.

For instance, phone goes out for 2 weeks and Telmex will say something like "We'll credit you 2 weeks of phone service and phone is 25% of the package cost ($599 pesos/month for us)".

Then later, if the Internet goes out for the same amount of time (has only happened once in 5 years), Telmex will say "We'll credit you 2 weeks of Internet and Internet is 25% of the package cost".
Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right ... But Three Lefts Do!
Marcos

Postby In The Hat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:52 pm

edmontonmen s/b familiar with Telus we had stand alone internet 6 years ago and I think the cost was $30-$35/month(CDN) We now live in Bucerias and have Telmex phone and internet-10 mbps, however can only count on about 5 mbps. This is adequate to run Netflix and MagicJack though probably not at the same time. We pay $389 pesos/month which is under $30 CDN.

You could look for yourself,

https://contrata.telmex.com/conexion-internet

https://www.izzi.mx/home
No married man can understand what a bachelor does with his money.
In The Hat

Postby kcowan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:58 pm

We found that we could not use Skype and anything else significant. If we turned off the video, it worked fine.

We also have Shaw Direct so the 389 plan is adequate.
For the fun of it...Keith -
kcowan

Postby edmontonmen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 pm

We are going to replace the wifi - extension router on a test basis, then the cable to see if this resolves the issue. Failing that it will be TelMex.

Some good information provided - thanks to all of you.
edmontonmen

Previous

Return to Help | Needs | Wants