half price drinks for ladies

Dryer repair?

Personal solutions for and questions about living in Vallarta.
Where to find it and how to do it.

Dryer repair?

Postby fmr pnw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi,

We have a GE washer-dryer unit, JUST out of warranty, and the dryer is not working. We bought it at Costco. Anyone have a suggestion for a repairman for a dryer? I’ll also go to Costco to see if they have any suggestions.

Thank you.
fmr pnw

Re: Dryer repair?

Postby jureal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:42 pm

If it just suddenly stopped working, most of the time it is a broken drum belt that needs to be replaced. Typically, the belt cost is about $20usd but the labor to replace it can be high as the dryer needs to be taken apart to reach the drum. If you are mechanically inclined, you can find a youtube demo on how it can be done. The belts are typically used among many dryers so the part is not hard to get. I get mine on Amazon. Easy to diagnose. Just take off the top of the dryer and the drum should be exposed. If the belt is not tight or is broken and loose, that is your problem.
jureal

Postby dlockesf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 pm

These guys do good work, if you're out Nuevo way. They also have a branch in town.

https://www.facebook.com/SYRR.Bucerias/?rf=610336655782140

They're not so great about showing up on time though.
dlockesf

Postby waltandjean » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:44 am

They're not so great about showing up on time though.[/quote]

Haha, really? In Mexico? I'm shocked.
waltandjean

Postby fmr pnw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 pm

jureal, thank you for the suggestion, but I don’t think it’s a belt and would rather leave it to a professional.

diockesf, that’s exactly what I was looking for, and will call them, using my bad Spanish, and see if they have an office in Centro that could help me.

And Mexico is absolutely unique in workers not showing up as promised. I never had similar problems when we lived on Vashon (between Seattle and Tacoma), with workers failing to show up as promised ... except EVERY SINGLE TIME. (Oh, yeah, I meant to be there, but something came up. — and, of course, they almost never called me to tell me.) Only difference is that the workers here speak Spanish. We have had several workers here who showed up as promised or who called to let us know they couldn’t be here.
fmr pnw

Postby jureal » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:15 pm

Well, my experience with my dryers have been the belt. The belt is connected to a tensioner which is connected to a switch. When the belt breaks, everything stops because of the tripped switch.
jureal

Postby fmr pnw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:24 pm

No, we have a squirrel problem (which I didn’t know when I posted initially): There’s one who likes the bamboo behind our house (bamboo is on the neighbor’s property), and it discovered the vent to the dryer. Not sure how expensive the repairs will be, but I fear it won’t be cheap.
fmr pnw

Return to Help | Needs | Wants