half price drinks for ladies

On the Road 2013-14

Tell it like it is, or was.

Moderator: freeeye

Re: On the Road 2013-14

Postby freeeye » Wed May 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Seems like the thieves should pay the import fees.

"À chacun son goût"
freeeye
Site Admin

Postby waltandjean » Wed May 21, 2014 4:10 pm

All you have to do is find them, get them to confess and then ask them politely for the fine.
Jajajaja
waltandjean

Postby waltandjean » Wed May 21, 2014 4:16 pm

jrdwdw wrote:Yes, but a police report and insurance claim should be able to offset that, shouldn't it?

Well, except from their point of view, the vehicle is still in Mexico, which is what they were trying to prevent with the temporary permit...

Easy to see both sides of the issue.

This is exactly why you cannot get "full coverage" in the US for a Mexican plated vehicle. Too many fake claims, police reports and insurance claims.
10 years experience as a claims person for Travelers Ins. Co. in San Diego. Trust me, I have seen and heard it all!!
Especially when they sent me undercover to TJ to find out one thing or another. I had no papers to be doing that but was expected to go anyway.
waltandjean

Postby phoenyxx » Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Well, except from their point of view, the vehicle is still in Mexico, which is what they were trying to prevent with the temporary permit...
Easy to see both sides of the issue.

They DO take a deposit, depending on the year of the vehicle - ours was $300 US. I think I paid, in that case ! That's just one of the little things you never know until something like this happens, as well as the high level of proof that you actually owned the vehicle they gave you a permit for. Our registration in this province is a single paper that is proof of ownership, insurance, and registration. Unfortunately, they have a 2-paper system in Mexico where you have a registration and separate title. Unfortunately our paper doesn't say "Title" anywhere, so they want a higher level of proof. We picked up an official-looking paper at the Canadian consulate in Guad that explains, in Spanish, that our B.C. registration is also title. Good to have with you in a pinch ! R&V
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
- Richard Jeni (on going to war over religion)
phoenyxx

Previous

Return to Trip Reports