half price drinks for ladies

On the Road 2013-14

Tell it like it is, or was.

Moderator: freeeye

Re: On the Road 2013-14

Postby rabihorcada » Mon May 05, 2014 11:37 am

Ok, we will see you next season. It is getting pretty hot down here already and they are talking rain on Wednesday, so it is probably not a bad idea to head north. For those of us who love our summers, it looks like it might come a bit earlier than usual. But you never can tell.
rabihorcada
Site Admin

Postby kcowan » Mon May 05, 2014 11:59 am

Good luck for an event-free return trip R&V!
For the fun of it...Keith -
kcowan

Postby phoenyxx » Sun May 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Arrived in Mazatlán early today, so carried on to Celestino Gasca, 70+ km north of Maz - it will put us an hour ahead in the morning. Settling in for the night and San Carlos tomorrow if all goes well. A few night there, then on to border #1 with , hopefully, a smooth passage. Will keep you all posted. R&V
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
- Richard Jeni (on going to war over religion)
phoenyxx

Postby rabihorcada » Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 am

It was soooo good to see you at the board meetup the other night.
rabihorcada
Site Admin

Postby phoenyxx » Mon May 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Yeah ! Likewise. We enjoyed it - I know it was a surprise, but it was almost the same for us. Had some good conversation and didn't have to re-live the "incident". By the way, we pulled into San Carlos today, set for 2 nights, then on to(ward ?) the border, at least the first one. So far, so good, all trouble-free on the road so far, although I find myself disturbed on being approached for a hand-out at a gas station in Navojoa - maybe I need some tranquilizers in that situation, especially with a 20-something, dodgey-looking guy ! Seems it will take a while to really relax again. R&V
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
phoenyxx

Postby rabihorcada » Mon May 12, 2014 9:25 pm

That is ok. You have been through a lot in the last few months. It is reassuring to know that your instincts are still in high gear, protecting you and Vicki. We live in many worlds and you are in an unsure place between what you know and what you have recently experienced and they do not match up right now. It is ok to be protective, just watch it and understand that many people live in an environment where they are constantly on point like that and will NEVER know anything different. It is like traveling to another reality, not just another city, and it feels uncomfortable, yes, but it is not a bad thing to really viscerally gut level understand. Make sure you look at that this summer, living in Canada, where you have a lot of security and safety and comfort zones. There are so many places in this world where people have never even experienced a moment of peace like you feel most of the time. I think that you have invited this into your lives because you have wanted to understand more of the world through your travels, and this is just one more aspect. Do not lose sight of your core beliefs or convictions; the guts it takes to explore the way you and Vicki have over the years are the same courage it takes to keep exploring beyond what you have been fortunate enough to be born into. I admire that, and so do so many others who are pushing the envelope of their birthrites.
rabihorcada
Site Admin

Postby phoenyxx » Mon May 12, 2014 10:34 pm

Nicely expressed, Sarah. I guess there are just more people around, especially down here, who are having a tough time of it. I think it's that the guy reminded me very much of the guy with the gun, so I'm not having any more of that. We had a good conversation with the son of the owners of the rv park in Celestino. He had lived in Canada, on the prairies for 2 years and he said it was hard for him to get used to the security of living there and not locking everything up or being concerned when they stopped to watch the northern lights, who might come along to do them harm. This is kind of the reverse situation and I'm sure I'll get over it, although I'm sure my alerts will take some time to subside. R
phoenyxx

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports