half price drinks for ladies

On the Road 2013-14

Tell it like it is, or was.

Moderator: freeeye

Re: On the Road 2013-14

Postby phoenyxx » Wed May 14, 2014 11:02 pm

We crossed the border today (2 times !). We went straight through without stopping, came into AZ and parked the trailer in an rv park about 20 miles north of Nogales AZ, then turned around and went back to the permit place and turned in the one on the truck, leaving our options open for next time. Thank you all for the moral support and comments. We'll be about a week traveling home and am looking forward to revisiting friends (and my tractors), and doing a little stress-free sleeping in. R&V
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
- Richard Jeni (on going to war over religion)
phoenyxx

Postby rabihorcada » Wed May 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks for tuning us in. Good luck on navigating the states and getting home.
rabihorcada
Site Admin

Postby kcowan » Thu May 15, 2014 8:25 am

I hope you will summarize your experience in an article: What to do when your truck is hijacked in Mexico. It should have broad appeal to international travelers.
For the fun of it...Keith -
kcowan

Postby phoenyxx » Wed May 21, 2014 12:45 am

Rolled into home today - big relief ! 7,000 mile round-trip under our belt - that's across Canada and 3/4 of the way back. All went well, we managed to escape without being asked for our missing trailer permit. The lawn, meanwhile, has been growing like crazy - anywhere from calf to knee-high, so there's 4 NICE days work - the nice days may be slow coming. The flowers and trees are all looking good, though. No word from the insurance company yet, will give them another week before poking them. Never know if that's a good idea, they may want just one more piece of paper !
Keith - the most perverse thing about the theft is that Customs, in order to cancel the TIP that was in my name, , will want about 30% of the vehicle value in duty, since it didn't leave the country !!! It's easier if you total or burn it, at least they won't want their piece of the pie. Good thing we can put things also in Vickie's name ! I MAY summarize after it all goes away. Ron
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
- Richard Jeni (on going to war over religion)
phoenyxx

Postby freeeye » Wed May 21, 2014 9:07 am

I never understood this rule about taxing people for having their cars stolen???

Glad you are back home ok. There is something very comforting to me about getting on a tractor and mowing a field. If I could change one thing about living down here it would being able to have land.

"À chacun son goût"
freeeye
Site Admin

Postby waltandjean » Wed May 21, 2014 10:35 am

freeeye wrote:I never understood this rule about taxing people for having their cars stolen???

Glad you are back home ok. There is something very comforting to me about getting on a tractor and mowing a field. If I could change one thing about living down here it would being able to have land.

Probably too many dishonest people would claim stolen vehicle in order to leave it illegally. Look what a few nuts on 3 airplanes did to the rest of us as far as air travel.
waltandjean

Postby jrdwdw » Wed May 21, 2014 10:50 am

Yes, but a police report and insurance claim should be able to offset that, shouldn't it?

Well, except from their point of view, the vehicle is still in Mexico, which is what they were trying to prevent with the temporary permit...

Easy to see both sides of the issue.
Jim

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. --Ben Franklin
jrdwdw

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports