half price drinks for ladies

Road info

Tell it like it is, or was.

Moderator: freeeye

Road info

Postby vince » Sun May 03, 2015 10:05 am

We are headed back to Canada in a few days and i'm wondering if anyone has taken road to San Blas in the last week or so? I'm considering going this way to avoid that long uphill climb towards Tepic. WE are taking Hwy 15 to Nogales. With all the "activity" going on in Jalisco this week, should I stay on the main routes and avoid this back road?Any thoughts?
Thanks
vince

Re: Road info

Postby smokin joe » Sun May 03, 2015 11:18 am

Stay on the main routes, safer and faster.
smokin joe

Postby catj » Sun May 03, 2015 2:56 pm

I took the road through San Blas (by mistake) in the fall and found it packed with trucks, very twisty, lot of topes and VERY slow.
I just came back from a round trip to Tucson last week and both ways went thru Tepic - much easier drive in my opinion.
catj

Postby dlockesf » Sun May 03, 2015 3:17 pm

I thought I had posted this a few hours ago but I don't see it. Apologies if you see it twice.

We just drove it north about two weeks ago and stayed on the main road. When we got to Tepic, there was a big sign advertising a Tepic-San Blas autopista, which seemed to be open. When we came south six months ago, we went through San Blas from a turn off of 200 about 20 miles north of Tepic. We didn't like that road to San Blas, narrow and isolated. From San Blas to Las Varas, the road wasn't bad except for the stretch through Zacualpan which was essentially a dirt road. But if there's a new, real, autopista and Zacualpan has been fixed up, I'd try that way next time.

Anyone know anything about that autopista? Is it real?
dlockesf

Postby catj » Sun May 03, 2015 5:33 pm

I noticed the sign when we came through on Monday but I don't know if the road is actually open/complete yet.
catj

Return to Trip Reports