half price drinks for ladies

Independence Trail

Tell it like it is, or was.

Moderator: freeeye

Independence Trail

Postby rafter » Sun May 31, 2015 6:31 pm

Just finished a 1,250 mile, 5 1/2 week trip through Jalisco, Colima, Michuacan, Queretero, Guanajuato, Jalisco, and Nayarit. I stayed in almost 20 cities. I kept a log so if anyone is interested I could post my experiences in a brief form. I will give a sample of the first day. I think I wrote less and less as the trip went on. Anyway, this would be a sample of my writing.
16-4-2015
Left PV about 9am and went to check out Cajon Pena. Pretty lake. Has some comfortable rooms for 400 pesos. I did not stay but the people were friendly and to rent a plancha is $20 US per hr.
Hwy 200 is a pretty drive. Often large trees have branches meeting over the road.
Spent the night in Playa ManzanillA. But b4 I got there I took a wrong turn two exits b4 Manzanilla and went to a beach there. Just beautiful! But not much in the way of hotels. There sure were a lot of policia there. They had some really big house on a cliff. Really nice.
Playa Manzanilla is a nice little town. A nice church in the plaza with a modern sculpture of The Assumption. I swear, that sculpture could be in a big church in a big city...that nice. It is an affluent pueblo right on the water and there is a croc preserve. One 8 or 9 footer was right up to the chain link fence. I would not have been able to put my arms around his middle. The plaza is modern and the gazebo unique. A giant sea shell is the roof and very thick metal wire is twisted to make the interior fence? around it. Made mostly of rock and cement...fish, octopi, dolphins etc. are carved everywhere on the outside. A great sunset and I could make out 4 lanchas heading out to sea for the night to return the following morning around 7am with their catch.
Touristy place but muy tranquillo.
Next would be Barra de Navidad
rafter

Re: Independence Trail

Postby mexish » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:26 am

I would be very interested to read about your trip. I am moving to Mexico at the end of this month, and one of the things I am looking forward to is exploring the different states, so your experiences and insights would be very useful. Thanks!
mexish

Postby jrdwdw » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:28 am

I would love to read it. We went down to La Manzanilla with Jamie and Laurie to spend the week-end with Brian and Brenda a couple of years ago. It is quite a nice get a way.

We are thinking of more road trips, so I would love to see your experiences.
Jim

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. --Ben Franklin
jrdwdw

Postby freeeye » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Make that 3 that are interested in reading about your trip.

"À chacun son goût"
freeeye
Site Admin

Postby rafter » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:50 pm

17-4-15
Croc still there in the am. Drove through Melaque (which appeaqred prretty down and dirty) on the way to Barra de Navidad. Barra looks nicer but would not call it your cobblestone streets type of place. Had an ear ache and finally found a doctor a couple blocks from el centro. He was having breakfast outside a (his?) fruteria. I sat in a chair in the beat up street and he took my temp, bp, checked my valves. Checked my nose, my throat and finally looked at my ears and said, "fuerte." Smart man...well spoken (spanish). Wrote me a script and charged me 100 pesos.
Staying at La Alondra. Another hard bed but better than last night.
I took the 300 peso water tour. Went down a canal with very nice houses. On the way to a small island and pueblo with a beautiful golf course, the captain was talking on his cell. I told him there was a small boat straight ahead and he acknowledged me. Then proceeded to keep going and ran into the poor guy. Luckily not real fast and manged to hit him on the side. They guy was really mad!
Got off at the island and walked to Playa Coco (about 3k from the pueblo and skirts the golf course). A gorgeous, empty and clean beach. Walked back and the captain picked me up to go back to the mainland.
Real nice sunset...after the sun went down.
I can see where Barra could get really crowded in high season. And it is fun to walk around the few streets and beach. But that is why I choose April/May. Did not want trouble finding a places to stay.
Next is more Barra/Melaque
rafter

Postby rafter » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:48 pm

I noticed today that my odometer stopped working while on the trip. It does not surprise me because I had a little over 1,000 miles when I was in Queretaro so I probably went about 18 or 1900 miles.
18-4
Most of the day I just walked around Barra. They have a pretty ugly gazebo and plaza. I assume that was the plaza principal as it was on the main drag coming into town. But maybe they have another. They also (like Manzanilla) had these tall poles in the plaza. I thought maybe they were solar energy but turns out they are speakers to warn in case of a tsunami.
I walked on the beach from Barra to Melaque from 7:30 to 8:30pm. First of all, the walk should be the opposite direction for the sunset and also because when I got to Melaque it was turning real dark and I did not know where I was. There were a number of people on the beach finishing up the days playing and one was able to tell me that the main street through town and to the hwy was right in front of me. Hard to tell right there. After several blocks I stopped at a new and swanky? coffee type bar. Jazzy music. And had a coffee. Felt more comfortable as I started realizing I really was on the right street. Took a taxi back.
Next Manzanillo
btw I would post a couple fotos each day but I tried reading an earlier explantion and it seemed kind of complicated.
rafter

Postby hamptonmeadow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:44 am

great post!
hamptonmeadow

Next

Return to Trip Reports