half price drinks for ladies

Yelapa,Sayulita ,PV

Tell it like it is, or was.

Moderator: freeeye

Yelapa,Sayulita ,PV

Postby eltiburon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:15 pm

Was in town only 8 days just me and the wife (feb 19-28)a child free vacay-woohooo!!! :D
Friday-First thing once out of the airport was straight over the bridge to tacos Marlin and had a wicked shrimp burrito and Pacifico ....the burrito is huge and a nice little fresh vegetable salad in a creamy dill like sauce accompanied it....ahhhh now we know we're back home....then it was back over the bridge and wait for a bus that wasn't standing room only and we were off to hotel Encino ....checked in ok , got unpacked and settled in, went out for a few beers on the malecon then Flacos for some al pastor and back to hotel to watch the sunset from Moments cafe bar!!
Saturday-Took bus to Sayulita our first day and watched the long board surf competition, I really enjoy Sayulita beach and although the town has really grown over the years I really enjoyed the walk about, the dining options,the vibe in general! We visited the Sayulita cemetery up on the hill, beautiful. The bus ride there and back seemed to take forever, lots and lots of stops in the PV-Bucerias stretch!!!!
Sunday-Next day we were off to Yelapa, wife had never been and I myself hadn't been back since the days of the generators and I was nearly washed off the beach in my tent during full moon night of 2000!!!
Took the bus to Boca and enjoyed some cold cervesas while waiting our turn for the water taxi,Boca is a gorgeous little bay I don't know why I don't go there more often!!!
Boarded our water taxi and I made sure to get a seat in the back (had vertebrae fused in my back 5 months prior) and good thing cause we were airborne a few times off some pretty big rolling waves!!
Yelapa was beautiful, it's changed quite a bit in 16 years but still feels like that little place forgotten by time, we offloaded on the beach, walked along the beach and through the river to access the steep stairs that take you up to the town. After wandering the town and exploring a bit we made our way up to the waterfalls, what a stunner, I can only imagine how beautiful a scene it must be during rainy season! Sat and enjoyed margaritas and beers and soaked it all in before heading back to the beach!
The beach can be really hard on the bare feet, very coarse sand, lots of small bits of coral, was absolutely painful in some areas ...sand shoes,flipflops etc highly recommended!!!
After battling the gamut to try to get on one of last water taxis (what a nightmare) I was left with a seat near the front of boat on ride back....ayyyyy carumba my back!!!!
The next day we finally made our way to our usual spot on Los Muertos beach in front of San Marino and were amazed at how clear and calm the water was, for 3-4 days it was as clear as I have Ever seen the water in front of Los muertos in 15 years of visiting!!!
I snorkelled around the pier and the anchored boats and observed thousands of really long slender silver fish, smaller ones, puffer fish, it was awesome...being in the ocean felt incredible on my back, I'm sure I was out there a good hour floating around!!!
Our evenings were always the same pretty much every night, had tacos or dinner at places like El Brujo,El Torito, Flacos tacos,Panchos Takos, Moments cafe bar (what a gem on the rooftop of hotel Encino....great sunset views,awesome burritos and probably my new favorite place for a well made decent priced cielo rojo!!)
Then it was off to malecon every night to people watch, check out the clowns,mimes,entertainers at Los Arcos , try the cakes, elotes,crepes etc....sit and listen to music, drink a few beers, and usually finish at Boleros to play some pool and a few nights we snuck next door to Roxys for some live music!!! Los Bambinos were amazing!!! Also we caught the food fair in Lazaro Cardenas park twice , enjoyed watching the traditional dancers and Mariachi!
Tuesday late afternoon I met JR and some TA crew at Por Favor, enjoyed the free wifi there and caught some of Sylvies show, the owner(didn't catch her name) was really nice...also that evening a couple of my friends from Toronto that I usually meet in PV every year arrived, of course it was off to Boleros for pacific is and Pool that night, and the usual stroll to the malecon!!!
Thursday to my surprise there was a classic car rally or something, the cars were parked all the way the whole malecon, man there was some gorgeous rides, I took a ton of pictures!!! That night me and the Toronto boys and Chiklits headed out to club Mandela for our big night out, we got open bar for 400 pesos, the bar was pretty busy and they had a Mardis Gras theme with stilt walkers out front, dancers, lots of decorations and of course beaded necklasses!!! Had a great time and partied till 4am!!
Went back to malecon the next evening to show the wife all the cars but sadly it must of been a one time thing!!
Our last few days the waves became crazy, a lady was almost killed in the waves just past blue chairs, (got to close to take a selfie and got sucked out)she had extensive damages, cuts,broken bones, water in lungs...last I heard from the activities guy at San Marino where she was staying was the ambulance people were able to revive her and she would be ok!
The clear waters were gone and it looked more like the scum on the top of a root beer float!! I didn't go into the water much last few days , :(
But it was fun to just watch the waves pound away, was quite the spectacle, they even had perimeter fences near the waters edge on malecon cause waves were crashing over the walls onto the walkways!
Saturday-our last day we had brekky at Fidencios on the beach, hung out with our amigos for an hour and got our last bit of catching up in, had one last fish on a stick, then it was off to check out of hotel, we did a little bit of souvineer shopping for the kids, walked malecon one last time,then it was of to the airport, checked our bags, crossed the bridge for tacos marlyn burritos one last time then it was adios muchachos!
Had a great time, other than getting a horrible stomach bug for about 12 hours on my forth day everything was excellent. One last thing to note, I took down the prices of many tequilas, rums.etc at the la playa liquor store, and then compared to the duty free at airport......man is duty free ever a rip off!!!! Live and learn, guess yur paying extra for the peace of mind not having to pack the bottle in your checked bag and worry bought it getting broke....!!
Next year we will most likely be back around same time but two weeks and with the monkeys in tow, we have a membership at the Melia so I guess we better start using it lol!!
Cheers
"People with small minds who live in small worlds often think that the whole world is small."
Rick Hepting
eltiburon

Re: Yelapa,Sayulita ,PV

Postby rafter » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:48 pm

Nice commentary. Some good tips. Thanx
rafter

Postby kcowan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:20 am

Just a tip for La Playa. Every Wednesday, they have a sale. 20% off all hard liquor and 10% of all wine. They have a great selection. This is at their warehouse across the street from Los Tules.
For the fun of it...Keith -
kcowan

Postby eltiburon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Good to know thanks Keith
"People with small minds who live in small worlds often think that the whole world is small."
Rick Hepting
eltiburon

Postby mizzoujack » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative briefing on your trip, Sharky. Funny, we have the exact same ritual when we arrive (and depart). Gotta have the shrimp burrito at Tacon de Marlin....they are so good. I've got Peg hooked now too. One year when I was traveling solo, I actually missed my flight and ended up spending a nite on the floor of the Denver airport, all due to my ritual craving of their shrimp burritos before I left. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mizzoujack

Postby eltiburon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:34 am

I know what you mean Jack..... XNicole was getting pretty huffy at me when we went back for a burrito....she was like..."you know the plane boards in an hour"....I told her relax I got this...boy I had to eat the burrito and drink that beer fast lol, by time we got through security they were announcing boarding as I was snooping on duty free....nice part though was no sitting around, straight to the gate and boarded lol
Rick Hepting
eltiburon

Return to Trip Reports