half price drinks for ladies

Hot diggety, we're inside 4 months!

Tell it like it is, or was.

Moderator: freeeye

Hot diggety, we're inside 4 months!

Postby mike swartzbeck » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:33 am

Wow, we're getting that close; I'd totally lost track of the time on account of the Presidential freak circus going on.

So, I guess now would be a good time to fill y'all in on what kind of trouble we've gotten into since we were together last.

This assistant professor of media communications at Wesley College, Delaware, is doing a series of documentaries on the "Indymedia" citizen-journalism movement that emerged out of the Seattle WTO and DC World Bank protests, and mine was the first. Turns out this guy wheatpasted thousands of my posters as a student back in '00, and is a huge fan.

More on my blog, with embedded video here: http://sinkers.org/stage/?p=1996

Then, earlier this summer, I was invited onto Lindsay France's "Fishtank" election/political news program on RT America to discuss the role of editorial cartoonists and satirists in election journalism. So, I was a Putin Stooge before it was cool.

Here's the blog post, with embedded video; now you can be a Putin Stooge, too: http://sinkers.org/stage/?p=2007

Donna and I celebrated our 25th anniversary in Italy for a week and a half early last month, and it was off-scale awesome. We did a small-group package tour -- eight or ten of us -- so that Donna's brain wouldn't melt trying to plan out a week and a half in Italy. We aren't normally package-tour types, but this was a really sharp outfit and it was a small enough group that you knew everybody. OK, so our car to the airport the morning of our flight home flaked on us and we were forced to flag a cab at 4 freakin' a.m., but other than that they had everything nailed down well. I'll upload some fotos to my Web space to I can link to them here as soon as I can make up my mind on the very best 8 or 10... or 12, or 20.

We did Venice, Florence, a quick day or two in Toscany, and finished in Rome.

Rome was just ferociously fascinating. Donna got kinda annoyed when I got all art-geeky in Paris, so I had to work extra hard in a city where you can just walk around a corner and whoa, here's this massive, ancient, intriguing old marble pile and it's just right there, 2000 years old. I had that friggin' old Dylan song stuck in my head most of the time there.
--
Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few:
Don't lend a hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!

--grateful dead.

mike swartzbeck

OK, here's Rome! (was Re: Hot diggety, we're inside 4 months

Postby mike swartzbeck » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:55 am

Technically, I suppose this is a trip report, except it's not a trip to anywhere in Mexico. So I'm adding it on here so you don't have to hunt around on another board for the Rome fotos:

Back in Art History class, they gave us the dimensions of this thing, but it's not 'til you see it right in front of you that you realize OH DEAR GOD IT'S FREAKIN' HUGE.

The Romans did everything big, including make-out spots.

The ruin at the bottom of the frame is how your average slob lived in Rome. They were poorly built, caught fire often, and rents were exorbitant. Y'know, like NYC. The marble thing in the top of the frame is actually not ancient Roman, but something piled up in the early 1900s; a Classical Revivalist war memorial-ish thing, also insanely stonking huge.

Yep, that's the Colosseum at the end of the block, there. An ampitheater built for over 70,000 people in a city of over a million (back then). The area around it is now a pedestrian-only area, so you don't see that iconic traffic-circle full of chaotic, swirling traffic around it that you always saw in old movies.

I just then learned that contrary to popular perception, the "thumbs up" gesture meant "go on and kill him" -- a thumbs-up with a slight flicking under the chin, like, yeah, cut him.

A long pan of the Forum. This is where Dylan's "When I Paint My Masterpiece" kicked in, and got stuck in my head for three days.

In the neighborhood around our hotel, there was no possible way we could go out for a walk and not end up in a Fellini movie.
--
Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few:
Don't lend a hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!

--grateful dead.

mike swartzbeck

Return to Trip Reports